Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Open Letters to VR Developers (part 2)


Maybe it's because I love role-playing games, but I think it's incredibly fun to pretend I'm someone else in VR. Having a full-body avatar in a virtual environment helps me get much more “into character” than a pair of floating, disembodied hands. Let me play someone really tall, or short, or super-strong, or someone who can jump incredibly high or fly like a super hero (Megaton Rainfall, thank you!) One of Sony's “Playroom VR” games lets me be a cartoonish Godzilla-dinosaur, and it has a built in voice-changer that makes my laughs and growls sound like I just inhaled all the helium in a party balloon. What if RPG developers allowed me to not only make my own VR avatar, but change my voice to fit? I could be a gruff, muscular viking warrior with a low, rumbling voice, or a tall, thin, dextrous elf with a light-hearted and devious childish laugh. I'd like to see my avatar's appearance change with the equipment and clothing I acquire, so I can actually look down and see that new pair of boots or my shiny suit of chainmail armor. And what if I'm not even human, but an alien monster with tentacles and wings? I want to see it, and if you're not going to put virtual mirrors into your game, at least let me press a button and check out my cool alien character in 3rd person!


No comments:

Post a Comment