Monday, November 13, 2017

Open Letters to VR Developers (part 1)


VR has been available for a couple years now, yet few game developers seem to be taking advantage of the potential of VR. The majority of VR games available seem to fall into one of two categories: games we've played before but now get a more VR-ish camera angle, or some variation of a first-person shooter (FPS.) Don't get me wrong, these games can be fun, but I often encounter elements of a VR game across different games that I wish would all be brought together to really take advantage of the potential. VR is a chance to be someone different and do things yourself, which usually requires a lot more skill and practice than button-mashing. There's something so satisfying about reaching over and virtually picking up, manipulating, and using an object in a game. Interactive and destructive environments that I can literally demolish or alter if I choose are something missing from most VR games so far. Developers, please make me feel like I'm able to interact with your game world instead of making me feel like your VR game just has an altered visual perspective and is only an on-rails version of something I've played countless iterations of before.

No comments:

Post a Comment