Wednesday, July 6, 2016

The Secret Ingredient for a Successful Game (part 3)


Then came the World of Warcraft, an MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.) This is a genre I'm not a huge fan of, and though I tried WoW, it wasn't my thing. This game, however, is considered the most addictive and successful MMORPG ever. Releasing in 2008 and still running, it holds the Guiness World Record for the most popular MMORPG by subscribers, and by January 2014, Blizzard announced that more than 100 million accounts had been created over the game's lifetime. This year, Blizzard released Overwatch, a game in yet another category, the MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena.) I have it, I've already pumped many hours into it, and I'm not even into MOBA's! My daughter, who isn't into video games, tried it and loves it, asking me often if she can play it. With all this success in so many different types of video games, it is clear that Blizzard has figured something out that other game designers haven't. What is it? I have a theory...

No comments:

Post a Comment