Thursday, October 3, 2019

VN Architecture (part 3)


Personally, I prefer immersion in a game, especially when the story is engaging and the characters are believable. I don’t like seeing some kind of graphical status indication appear during conversations or events, and I don’t even like having a way to check on that through a menu or sub-screen of some type. In my opinion, it is important to maintain the “suspension of disbelief” just like it is done when watching a movie or TV show. If you are reminded that you are playing a game with fiddly menus and onscreen options, I think it pulls you out of the immersion to a degree and can distract from your full emotional involvement in the story. As a result, the Star Legation does not have a fancy onscreen message bar—it is merely a shadowed area so that you can more easily read the dialogue text. I have also chosen to reduce all onscreen graphical user interface down to a single icon in the lower right of the screen. When you click that icon, a menu screen will appear so you can save, familiarize yourself with other key commands (such as a quick save key, skip text key, etc.) My main goal is for you to lose yourself in the story like you would in a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment