Monday, October 21, 2019

The Gamer Connection (part 1)


This last weekend I met someone at a party, and initially I thought I had nothing in common with him. He was a single, twenty-something, put-together guy who I learned was a lawyer in Seattle. I live on the East Coast, I'm involved in the arts, and I'm married with a teenage daughter. The small talk spun along the usual routes and began to traverse the familiar, awkward path where we both realized we couldn't relate to each other and were struggling to keep the conversation going. Yet unexpectedly, he mentioned that he was interested in the video game industry, and was a gamer himself. Suddenly, we were talking like we were old college buddies, mentioning our favorite video games and gaming consoles, talking about the trials of building our own gaming PC rigs, and discussing our longings to find work in the video game industry at big companies such as Bethesda Softworks and even Nintendo. All of this could have happened over a shared interest in football instead of video games, but I've experienced it before with a wide range of people. There's just something different about connecting with someone over an interest in gaming...

No comments:

Post a Comment