Monday, October 28, 2019

RPG Building, Behind the Scenes (part 1)


This Thursday, October 31st, marks the 7th anniversary of the scifi tabletop RPG, Solar Echoes. The game was released in 2012 on DriveThruRPG and RPGNow (which has since merged with DriveThruRPG) as downloadable pdf files, but physical copies of the books were also printed and sold at several game stores on the East Coast. The game took two entire years to develop, from original concept to extensive internal and external play testing. I look back and realize that I might not have finished the project if I’d had any idea of what I was getting into—designing a tabletop RPG is a very involved, lengthy, and expensive endeavor. I love quoting my wife from when we decided to paint our entire basement together, and I think her words can be directly applied to designing and finishing Solar Echoes: “It’s amazing what you can accomplish when you have no idea what you’re getting into.” This week, I’ll discuss some of the things that are involved with the process of building your own tabletop RPG, if you’d like to know what you are getting into...

No comments:

Post a Comment