Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Star Wars Fatigue (part 2)


Upfront, I'll share my Star Wars preferences to at least give some context about where I'm coming from. I liked the original trilogy, a lot. I felt that all 3 movies (episodes IV, V, and VI) fit well and maintained an overarching story. They were my favorites, so I've definitely been accused of having expectations based on my nostalgia. Whether that is true or not, there are elements in the original trilogy that I feel have been lacking in subsequent iterations, namely the synergy of characters. The original iconics--Luke, Leia, Han Solo, Chewbacca, C3PO, and R2D2—these characters were the central focus of the movies. We had other scenes, but throughout, it was obvious that the movies were mainly about their story, and the story of the antagonist, Darth Vader. Everything was extremely character-driven, and we felt a connection with these heroes. Despite the character-driven story, however, underneath it all was also a very engaging story that challenged and changed the characters throughout the trilogy. Since then, however, I feel that the Star Wars movies were more about the story than the characters. And sometimes, they were more about the special effects than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment