Monday, January 13, 2020

Programming Choices in a VN (part 1)


I've been writing and programming choice-based stories for several decades now, such as the D&D tabletop campaigns I ran for friends, dialogue with NPC's for online adventures of Neverwinter Nights, tabletop missions for Solar Echoes, and now the Star Legation visual novel. Visual Novels often involve the player making choices periodically throughout the game, which gives the player a sense of ownership over the outcome of the story. Due to my background in writing and GMing many tabletop adventures throughout my life, I decided that I wanted the Star Legation visual novel to feel as much like a tabletop RPG story as possible. This week, I'll discuss how I approached the task of writing this epic adventure in a way that hopefully feels like an RPG experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment