Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Programming Choices in a VN (part 2)


I've written and published many missions for the tabletop RPG, Solar Echoes, and the challenge I always faced was writing the story in a way that prompted the players to make choices while still keeping players within the somewhat linear flow of the story. It was impossible to anticipate every idea a player might have, but my adventures were designed to tell a story and to help the GM (Game Master) keep the story moving forward without getting too sidetracked by unusual player choices, while still presenting the players with the freedom of choice. As I wrote my visual novel, however, I faced a difficult problem: there is no way to improvise and adapt to player ideas because dialogue in a video game is finite and not fluid, fixed and not active. Choice options had to be set beforehand during writing and programming. I didn't want the players to feel like their decisions didn't matter, and I wanted the choices I presented to players to feel like options they would have thought of themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment