Thursday, January 2, 2020

Game Review! Knights of Pen and Paper II (part 1/3)


I bought this little game on sale (PSN), not noticing that it was a sequel until after I'd bought it for $6.50. I figured, oh well, game sequels are often improved versions of the first release, so I hoped it was standalone and wouldn't require any previous experience. I was very pleasantly surprised by this game--I've played a lot of old-school dungeon RPG's, but the concept here was truly unique. My characters sat at a table with their backs to me, across from a DM with the imagined monsters and places appearing behind him. The DM would deliver quest dialogue, and the NPC's encountered would appear behind him to add to the dialogue. Although a lot of the game elements were standard RPG fare, the truly fun and original spin was the dialogue between the characters and the DM. Side comments, jokes, stupid questions, etc. that you'd experience at a real D&D session were all there to really make this game feel like a true pen and paper, tabletop game. And that meant I couldn't wait to play my next game session!


No comments:

Post a Comment