Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Superheroes: Are you a fan? (part 4)


I like to see characters struggle with problems in life that they can overcome using their intellect, strength, or specialized training because it encourages me to see someone achieve something incredible using human means to achieve it. If they achieve it with a super power, I'm immediately unimpressed. Of course they were able to achieve something incredible—they have supernatural powers! If I had those powers, I could do the very same! Another thing about super powers that doesn't excite me is that the characters rarely, if ever, had to do anything to earn those powers. Spiderman was bitten by a unique spider. Thor was given a magic hammer. Superman was born that way. It all just feels cheap to me. But Ironman, for instance, used his wealth and intellect to construct a unique suit of flying armor. The Arrow, as another example, learned his stealth and fighting skills on a dangerous island (though a character running around with a bow and arrow in these modern times really tries my suspension of disbelief.)

No comments:

Post a Comment