Monday, January 28, 2019

A Week in the Wasteland (part 1)


I recently bought myself the Fallout board game, by Fantasy Flight Games. I don't often have the opportunity and time to get together to play with friends, so one of the nice features of this game is that it can also be played single player. Over the course of a week, sitting down to play a few rounds by myself here and there when I had time, I enjoyed my first journey into the wasteland. First, I read the rules (there are a lot of them), sorted the playing cards and pieces, and set up the cardboard hex map. Several of the cardboard tiles were revealed from the start, according to the scenario I was playing, which showed the locations of major cities I'd need to travel to. The game can be played with others, where players can trade items, but they all have individual agendas (assigned randomly by cards) and will work to manipulate the game so they can gain the most "influence" in the wasteland to win. As a single player game, there is a target influence you must achieve to win. The game is given urgency because, in each scenario, there are two opposing factions which slowly gain their own influence based on random cards you pull and the effects of the quests you choose, as well as which of them you choose to ally with. If either faction gets to the target influence number first, that faction wins, even if it's your faction. Your goal is to use the situation to increase your own influence and beat both factions, though you do gain some influence bonuses if your faction is doing well.


No comments:

Post a Comment