Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Superheroes: Are you a fan? (part 3)


The more powerful a superhero's power is, the less I like him or her. I like Batman because he doesn't have a supernatural power at all. He learned his stealth and martial arts techniques through training, and he has all kinds of gadgets and resources because of his wealth. To me, he's a hero because he's chosen to use his resources to stop crime and help others, and to put himself at risk because of his deep idealism. I like seeing characters that use what they have and work hard to overcome odds on their own, so when a character is imbued with a supernatural power, it immediately ruins that for me—how is anything a challenge for the Flash, who essentially can stop time because he's so fast. Thor can destroy anything with his hammer, he can fly (with his hammer), and he's insanely strong. I can go on and on listing superheroes, but my point is that the more power they have, the less I can relate to them...

No comments:

Post a Comment