Monday, February 27, 2017

Game Mileage Varies By Age (part 1)


There are all types of gamers, but one way to categorize them is by age. Games mean different things to each of us at the various stages of our lives. I remember when my friends and I used to gather around a table to play Dungeons and Dragons, back in elementary and middle school. Once high school began, there wasn't as much time for getting together with friends, but we still managed once in a while. However, video games became something I could do on my own more spontaneously. The types of games I spent my time on varied, though, mostly because of my limited budget as a teenager. I remember dedicating myself to solving a single game, working on it for months and months, practicing all the patterns and tricks to get through a game that I finally was able to solve—Ghosts 'n Goblins. I solved the game because I didn't have the money to buy any others, so I got the most mileage I could out of it. Today, I often move on to a different game before solving it. Buying a new one isn't as much of an issue, and I have less free time to devote to a game that is punishingly difficult. If I don't feel like I'm progressing, I feel like I'm wasting my time and since I have so little of that, I switch to something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment