Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Robots and the Law (part 2)


Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the use of robots in our lives--I even own two cleaning robots for my home and am thankful I no longer have to vacuum. But robot AI is becoming increasingly more sophisticated, so much so that we might one day see people (and robots themselves) lobbying for robot equal rights. People may even want to marry robots someday! If you think this is preposterous, think again: there are already robots that are being developed to be very realistic female companions. Movies like "Her" and "Ex Machina" address these trends. Regarding AI, people like Elon Musk are extremely concerned about the current unrestricted path the development of artificial intelligence is taking. We need to prepare now, because in ten, maybe twenty years, our society is going to be very, very different. The robots are coming, but will our laws facilitate or restrict their impact on our civilization?

No comments:

Post a Comment