Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Risks of Travel in Outer Space (part 2)


The first incident that may occur is something some of us may have already experienced—running out of fuel. In the days before cell-phones I remember being a little nervous the first time I traveled across a 2-hour expanse of desert in the West Coast or more than an hour on the Jersey Turnpike on the East Coast. Both roads were, for the most part, without exits, and if I hadn't put enough fuel in my car, I would have had a very, very long walk to find a gas station or help. Even if I could call from my phone for help, I could be in for several hours of waiting. On the West Coast, the heat of the desert was the danger, while on the East Coast during winter, the frigid temperatures were a serious threat. In space, without fuel to propel a starship to the next destination, both the oxygen supply and the cold of space could become very serious challenges. Food and water supply could also become crucial, if players haven't stocked up enough to cover the extra days (or weeks) they may have to wait for help to arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment