Friday, September 27, 2019

What is it about JRPG’s? (part 5)


In my opinion, I prefer JRPG's to Western RPG's, most of the time. There are a number of reasons, but regarding open-world vs. linear story-telling, my vote is for JRPG's because I like feeling that the game is moving forward with purpose. Open-sandbox RPG's can certainly be fun, and many of them do have incredible stories to tell. I just don't like wandering around doing side quests, aimlessly exploring, and grinding to level up without any pressing incentive to do so. JRPG's, on the other hand, give me a sense of urgency, and essentially force me to level up through random battles as I move from one area to another towards the next story objective. I like feeling like I'm making progress through a story while spending time with the different characters in my group as we journey together--I prefer solo gaming, but I don't necessarily like for my game character to be all alone. To me, JRPG's are more immersive because I feel like the story is carrying me forward, rather than Western RPG's where I feel a lack of urgency with the story, as it is left up to me to decide when I want to get around to pursuing it. The lack of an urgent story may be the problem itself, because I feel less invested and involved in something ongoing. Not only does the linear fashion of a JRPG provide that, but interactions with the other characters in my group also remind me that we're all on an epic journey seeking to solve a quest together.


No comments:

Post a Comment