Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Tokyo Chronos VR Review (part 2)


When I started Tokyo Chronos on PSVR, I used the Move controllers because the game was advertised as having that option. Other than using them essentially as laser pointers during menu selection, though, the controllers were otherwise not utilized beyond simple button pressing. I had hoped to be able to see my arms and hands move at least, but I existed in the game as an armless torso--I could look down at myself and see the school uniform my character was wearing. Another thing I noticed right at the beginning of the game was that the scale was off, regardless of the height adjustment option. Perhaps this was intentional, but it felt weird being a 10 foot giant among other 10 foot tall characters, in a world where everything felt larger than it should be. Everything was proportionately scaled within the game environment, but my own sense of scale from my reality was definitely different. However, the art in Tokyo Chronos is all done in a very anime style, so realism is not something to expect. I enjoyed feeling like I was a character in an anime world, and at several points in the game, I actually could see what my character looked like when standing in front of a mirror. The art style had a cel-shaded feel with a color palette that was an odd mix between characters and environment, but the overall tone was consistent. 


No comments:

Post a Comment