Thursday, November 8, 2018

What Are Your Game Rating Standards? (part 4)


Regarding Infinite Adventures and the 5 star rating I gave the PS4 game, I was disappointed to see the rating starting to slip after more people added their ratings. Perhaps I was alone in my enjoyment of the game? I checked on Steam, where it had also been released for PC, and I saw that all of the PC gamers totally loved it, indicated by ten positive reviews so far. The mindset of gamers on PC's and consoles does differ sometimes, so this can affect ratings simply because of what a game is being compared with. There are so many different categories and genres of games, that it is easy to compare apples and oranges and rate the oranges badly because they're not red or sweet enough. Although mileage varies with each person, I think games should at least be ranked based on a few basic standards: How fun is the game? Does it appeal to you visually? Is the gameplay comfortable or frustrating? Did you like the sound design or was it irritating? Was the game engaging, or boring? In my opinion, these kinds of questions should drive your rating more than how the game compares with other games out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment