Tuesday, November 6, 2018

What Are Your Game Rating Standards? (part 2)


Being a game developer myself, I am a lot more thoughtful about ratings because I know how much they can impact sales. I once had someone give Solar Echoes a 6/10 only a few weeks after game release, and since I didn't have any reviews yet, that one review negatively impacted sales for over a month until other people started putting up reviews and ratings (which were thankfully much higher, usually 8 or 9 out of 10!) At least people could read the first reviewer's review and see that his main complaint was that Solar Echoes was a grid-based game, and he personally didn't like grid-based tactical games in general. I felt that his review was very unfair, because if he didn't like grid-based games, he should have either left that out of is review, or mentioned it in passing while basing his scoring of the game on other areas. So, when I review games now, I try to think about rating them based on what the game is in its particular genre or style, how it compares with others of its kind, and what works...or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment