Friday, November 16, 2018

Infinite Adventures (part 5/5)

 Overview and Highlights
 
THE ENCOUNTER RATE: There are a few innovations that really made this game for me. I absolutely love the option to adjust the encounter rate! Why haven't other RPG's implemented something like this? Sometimes I just want to explore, and in other games like this I lose interest because I often can't risk going further and have to find my way back out of a dungeon to survive. In Infinite Adventures, I can pursue little goals I want to achieve without being bothered by random encounters. For instance, I wanted to level up a few of my newbie characters, so I put two of them in a party of higher level characters, and turned off the encounters. I walked to a boss encounter, and then fought the boss—it was a hard fight with my newbies, but I won, and they leveled up a couple times! The encounter rate feature made this game so much more fun to me, and it never felt like a grind because I could choose the frequency for how often I'd be fighting lots of monsters.

THE SKILL VARIETY: A lot of RPG's have complex skill trees, so I guess this is nothing new, but I liked the skill trees in Infinite Adventures. Each character had 3 different skill trees to choose from, and it was actually possible to get some of the more powerful skills before level 10 if you invested right. The skills were interesting and changed the way I fought in battle, and they made me look forward to battle, because I was always looking for a chance to test various combinations of characters and skills. Monsters had different vulnerabilities to exploit and abilities I might want to suppress, so the variety of skills kept it interesting and strategic.

ENCOUNTER WARNING SYSTEM: I thought it was a great idea to have a slowly changing color around the map that showed me how soon my next encounter would be. Once it started turning brighter shades of red, I knew my time was up. If I knew I wasn't going to be ready, I could warp back to town, or do my best to heal up my characters before the encounter started.

SAVE ANYWHERE: Thank you, Stormseeker Games, for allowing me to save anywhere in the game. I really, really hate save points that you have to trek with the risk of losing all of your progress if you don't make it there. My time for gaming is limited, and if I invest time and then end up losing it, I may not come back to that game again. With Infinite Adventures, I can just pick up where I left off!

FAIR MAPS: So far, I've only been to dungeon station 4 (level 4), but the maps have been fine. There are a few places where there were pitfal traps that dropped me to a lower level, but it wasn't the kind of impassable aggravating obstacle that I've seen in a lot of other games of this type. There were also a few puzzle rooms, but they were fairly intuitive and could easily be reset if I made a mistake. There has been nothing so far that made me feel like I was stuck and couldn't move forward—nothing that made me feel like I'd have to waste tons of time walking around to figure it out. I play these kinds of games for the strategy, battles, and the story, not be be frustrated by infuriating map design. For me, a game needs to be fun and not feel like a chore or a punishment to endure for the good stuff, so I'm glad Infinite Adventures hasn't had any maps so far that froze my progress.

BALANCED LOOT: Again, keep in mind that I'm a low-clutter dungeon crawler where I prefer my loot to be balanced like the Dragon Quest. I don't want to carry around a million swords and struggle to pick which one to use. I like having simpler choices with a few options to upgrade and fine-tune.

CHARACTERS: With 5 races and 10 classes to choose from, each class with 3 different skill trees, I felt there was a lot of depth for strategic customization. For character types, I could also choose--in most cases--between two different art protraits with two different color schemes each, and I could choose from a huge variety of voice types. Each voice type gave more “character” to my character. I could choose noble or common for my character's background, which influenced my attributes and my skills. There is a lot of unexpected depth to this game, and character creation was extremely fun!

GAMEPLAY: The controls were fine, the game flowed quickly, and I could even adjust the speed of the action during an encounter (I put it at medium so I could better keep track of what was going on and study how effective each skill was.) The game revolved around going through dungeons, fighting monsters, leveling up and tweaking characters, returning to town to buy, sell, rest, save, upgrade, take on or report quests, and advance the main storyline.

PRICE: $25 is a little steep for a game like this at first glance, which might turn a number of buyers away. Without playing it, it's hard to justify the $25 asking price when looking at the production values and comparing with other games of the same price from much larger game studios. But, if you look past first impressions, there is a lot of game here. Consider this was done by one person who understands old-school dungeon crawling fun at its best—this game was more fun for me than other similar titles by big game studios, and Infinite Adventures has great innovations that should really become standards in this genre. I think it's totally worth the money. Even more so when considering that it supports the efforts of such a small game studio. A lot of thought and effort went into this game.

ONLINE RECEPTION SO FAR: I bought Infinite Adventures on the PS4 and was the first to rate it. I rated it 5 out of 5 stars, but over several days, the rating dropped to 3 out of 5 after others rated it. However, on Steam, I've seen nothing but good reviews, with 14 positive reviews as of today's writing. Perhaps the PC crowd has different expectations than console gamers? One complaint that I've seen a few times in forums is that there was a save file corruption issue at release, and though I never experienced this myself, I can see how people would be angry losing their saves after investing time in the game. This has already been addressed, though, because Stormseeker Games has already patched the game several times since release, so they are actively supporting it and responding to their customers.

REPLAY VALUE: For me, there is replay value because I really enjoy creating new characters and trying out new skill investments. You can create a lot of characters and vary their skill investments, and I can see myself trying a new game with a new hero to get a different Kessen skill based on the different background choices I made. I'd definitely like to try building my characters up from level 1 in different ways once I better understand what character and skill types work together best for my tactical preferences.

VERDICT: As mentioned, I ranked this 5 out of 5 stars. For me, this dungeon crawler does so many things right, including some innovations that I hope other developers take note of and make into standards for the genre. Infinite Adventures shows what one game designer with a clear vision can do alone and honestly, it is quite impressive. Somebody give this guy some major financial backing, because I really can't wait to see what he produces next!



No comments:

Post a Comment