Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Infinite Adventures RPG Review (part 3)


QUESTS
Aside from the larger story arc, there are many sidequests that you can undertake. In town, you'll find a few of the characters there in need of your help. Short quest-related stories that are basically item fetches are common, as well as a few “locate this person” quests. I liked it that the quests had some fun little story elements to them, and the actual quests were somewhat incidental, in that I would eventually solve them through the course of my dungeon explorations anyway. But it was fun returning to town and seeing a location highlighted to indicate that I'd solved a quest and could go talk to the quest giver to advance the mini-quest story a little more. I'd get my reward, but in addition to whatever loot I was awarded, I also felt like the next part of the quest story was also a reward. Perhaps it was because of the contrast of dungeon crawling and battling with monsters, but the development of the quests while in town was a refreshing insertion of narrative.

STORY
I'm not going to give any real spoilers here; I'll generalize. The actual story in the game began with me playing a character in a higher level party. What they encounter and learn serves as a platform for my characters later when they join the game. During character development, I spent quite a long time designing each of my characters, not only because of the many options, but because of the background options. Some time was clearly spent on the history of this world, and it really helped give the characters and their races some context in the game. As I began the game, I had to talk to a few people to learn that I needed an adventurer's license of sorts, and I was eventually given the task of exploring the first level of the dungeon and activating 4 different beacons. If I did that and came back alive, I could get my license and be allowed to go deeper into the dungeon. After gaining my license and exploring further, I was surprised to meet other groups of adventurers in the dungeon, each group with different personalities and goals. Every once in a while, I'll encounter some of those characters and see the story advance a little more. I especially liked it when I met a group that were basically going to “allow” me handle the boss encounter up ahead. They, of course, were able to advance further after I'd done all the dangerous work clearing the way! The story unfolds as you play, but so far, it has remained active and amusing despite my many dungeon forays intended to level up some of the other character classes I designed.



No comments:

Post a Comment