Wednesday, November 7, 2018

What Are Your Game Rating Standards? (part 3)


Last week I purchased Infinite Adventures by an indie developer, Stormseeker Games. I read up on the developer and learned that the game was developed by a husband wife team, which formed a small company to publish the game under. I plan on reviewing the game soon, possibly next week, but after playing 2 or 3 hours of the game, I went back to the digital storefront and ranked it 5 out of 5 stars. I based my rating on the fact that the game was very impressive for its humble origins, but if I had compared this game to some of the larger indie companies, many might have expected a lower rating. The art was well-done, but it was certainly lower budget than what might be seen from other, larger indie developers. The voice acting was also well-done, but in some cases it was apparent that the voice actors perhaps had less experience than you'd find in a game with higher production costs. (I was also really impressed that every character and every bit of text was voice acted!) It all worked nicely, and it was well-designed, well-written, engaging, and fun to play. If I were to price it myself, I might lower the $25 asking price to $15 to place it among games with similar production values, but I was happy to pay the full $25 when considering the impressive effort that must have been made to produce such an enjoyable game.

No comments:

Post a Comment