Monday, November 19, 2018

Combining the Elements for a VN Game (part 1)


Last week I did an in-depth review of the indie RPG videogame, Infinite Adventures, which involved me really taking a deeper look at what goes into making a video game. I've been going through my own process for the Solar Echoes visual novel (VN) project, and there are a lot of parts that need to all come together for this game to work. I still have a very long way to go before it is complete, but it's exciting when some of the individual pieces are starting to near completion. Every part is contingent on another part in a way, so it's difficult to plan and adjust as everything forms. Thankfully, the core of the game is about 65% complete: the script. One of the first things that needs to be decided upon for a visual novel is who the characters are. This is not only vitally important for the script, but it is also necessary for the character artist as he works on the art for each "sprite." A sprite is the term used in visual novels to describe the individual character art, which will be positioned and highlighted on screen whenever that particular character speaks. Thankfully, most of my sprites are already complete, thanks to the work I did last spring in the Solar Echoes Video Comic for YouTube. I have only a few extra characters that I still need sprites for, and artist John Fell is at work bringing them to life with various expressions and a few different outfits.

No comments:

Post a Comment