Monday, November 12, 2018

Infinite Adventures RPG Review (part 1)


The first thing that caught my attention about the Infinite Adventures video game is that it is an RPG. Anything and everything that bears that title will at least get a second glance from me. When I started reading about Infinite Adventures and viewing some of the screenshots and videos, I became even more interested. The game has a very old-school turn-based “Wizardry” feel to it, with a first-person perspective common in dungeon crawler games such as Elminage, Stranger of Sword City, and Demon's Gaze, to name a few. One of the reasons I chose to purchase this game was because I read a little background info about the developer, Stormseeker Games, and discovered this game was designed and programmed by one guy. As a solo game developer myself, I know a little about what that's like, and I really wanted to be supportive of the effort. I was glad I did after I started playing Infinite Adventures!

BATTLES
To be honest, there are a lot of games done in this style and though I continually try to get into them, I always end up quitting before solving them. One thing that often deters me is the grind—when the game starts to feel endlessly repetitive and I'm pressing the same buttons, going through the same sequences as fast as possible, I quickly start to lose interest. The point of a dungeon crawl, in my opinion, is to have fun managing the various skills of your party to compliment each other and survive dangerous encounters, taking advantage of tactical options and monster weaknesses while managing your resources carefully to emerge from each battle successfully. Thankfully, Infinite Adventures does this quite well, and adds in a few innovations that embellish the experience even further.

RESOURCES
Depending on which character class you choose for each of the six characters in your party, you have four different resources to manage, including mana, rage, focus, and astral. Mana is traditional for spellcasters, and it depletes from a starting max pool until it's empty. Rage is a resource used by warrior type classes, and though it starts 0 in an encounter, it accrues based on the damage you deal or suffer over time. Focus is used by finesse or precision type classes that can specialize in the use of ranged attacks, such as a ninja or a technocrat, and these classes begin with a maxed pool that replenishes over time during battle. Finally, astral is used by the Stormseeker class (named after the company, Stormseeker games), which absorb magic with their giant greatswords and then use it to fuel powerful skills. With all these resources to manage during a battle, the strategy is already built in to each encounter, making timing and sequence very important.

TACTICAL OPTIONS
However, the strategic options don't end with the resources in Infinite Adventures. There is a 5-slot bar on the right side of the screen that fills up over time during an encounter, and you can use this energy to power “Kessens,” which are one-shot powers like: a guardian wall that reduces incoming damage by 50%, a free attack from all 3 of your front characters, a ranged attack from all 3 of your rear characters, or an ability based on some of the choices you made during the development of your main character at the beginning of the game. But wait, there's more...


No comments:

Post a Comment