Thursday, July 19, 2018

Your Feedback Needed for Visual Novel Game Design (part 4)


I'm also considering making my own combat system for this VN, utilizing branching choices that also reference variables set along the course of the game and even variables that were set during your character design. A have a few unique tricks in mind to help make combat more interactive, and I've already successfully created a few working test programs to try out my ideas, using my VN program. However, I'd like to know how interested you would be in combat? Many VN players do not buy their VN's for combat—they are interested in the story, the characters, and sometimes in the choices they can make to alter the story trajectory. I worry that including too much combat (or including it at all) might deter some from giving the Solar Echoes Visual Novel a chance. I know that everyone has their preferences, especially since I've played with a lot of RPG gamers that have a wide range of preferences in this regard. But, I have a few related questions for you on this topic:
  1. If combat was included in the VN, would you like the option to skip the player-involved combat and jump to a summary of what happened?
  2. Do you like “quicktime events” where you have to click or press a specific button within a limited time-frame, or do you hate these?
  3. Would you like or dislike it if, by not making a choice inside an indicated time-frame, a “Do nothing” option was defaulted to? (and this option had it's own path and consequence)

No comments:

Post a Comment