Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Your Feedback Needed for Visual Novel Game Design (part 2)


One thing I've been learning about Visual Novels is there are a LOT of different types. Many are what are known as “Kinetic Novels,” which is basically just click, read, click, read, until the end of the story, where you click to advance to the next block of text while some background art and character art (known as sprites) change periodically, often with the characters changing their expressions to match the situation. I can definitely do something like a Kinetic Novel right now, hands down—I'd just need a little more background art, but the programming itself would be very easy: I'd only need to enter the text into the programming environment and pattern certain built-in scripts. However, I have all kinds of ideas and I would like to do more than that. Another aspect of VN's is the option to make choices, which departs from Kinetic Novels and becomes a “Choose Your Own Adventure” story. Some programming is required, but my program will still handle it, so I'll be doing this. Considering that, my questions for you today are as follows:
  1. Would you prefer a VN that has a lot of branching paths with alternate storylines and endings?
  2. Would you be ok with the possibility of ending up in failure with the wrong choices and have to load up a previously saved game to try again?
  3. Do you want the choices presented to be more focused on character relationships or plot events? (Both will be present of course, but I'm asking about preferred ratio)

No comments:

Post a Comment