Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Going Off-Grid (part 2)


Google owns the internet. Does it really? In a sense, that statement does have some truth to it if you pull back the curtain a little to see what is going on behind the scenes. Just about everything you do online is tracked and archived, analyzed by programs and then shared. When I say shared, I mean that in addition to the giant that is Google, your information is also available to other companies and researchers that want to know your habits. How long did you stay on that webpage? What part of the webpage did you linger on? What did you click, where did you scroll, and what did you type? Of course, many realize that this is the price of using the internet, and many don't even care—what is privacy, anymore? It is being eroded as a concept, something that is viewed an archaic notion that only our set-in-their-ways elders are being stubborn about. My own daughter thinks my precautions are over the top, and maybe they are. I don't know about you, though, but I don't like the idea that Google is constantly trying to know more about me than it should.

No comments:

Post a Comment