Monday, October 10, 2016

Writing an Entire Universe (part 1)


When I was developing the Solar Echoes game initially, I worked with a friend of mine, Matthew Hannum. Though we spent nearly two years developing and testing the rules system, we also spent those two years talking about the game world we were designing. We often began with questions, like, “What type of organism would most likely survive on another planet?” and “What would the culture of an intelligent reptilian species be like?” Yet this was much bigger than designing a single world--we were designing an entire universe! If we'd had any idea when we started how big this would become, I think we'd have been overcome and might not have finished. It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from my wife, when she and I decided to repaint our entire basement. When we finished, two full days later, she said, "It's amazing what you can accomplish when you have no idea what you're getting into!"

No comments:

Post a Comment