Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Virtual Reality is Real (part 3)

Instead of my reactions, I'll share those of my wife, who is not a gamer at all and is generally unimpressed by technology. Immediately, she was looking around, leaning over and reaching out, waving her arms trying to touch the fish, and getting nervous the deeper the cage was lowered into the ocean depths. She was "oohing" and "awwing" when she saw manta rays, sea turtles, and jelly fish. She asked, "is this a movie?" not understanding it was a video game--she said it looked incredibly real (And this is coming from someone that thought Uncharted 4 on an HDTV "still looks like a game.") Finally, the great white shark showed up, and my wife pulled her legs up onto the couch each time it circled the cage. When it attacked and bit onto the cage, trying to tear it apart to get to her, my wife was screaming at the top of her lungs, hugging her legs and leaning away from the virtual shark, shouting to me, "I don't like this!" After the game ended, though, when she took of the VR headset she told me she thought it was amazing and felt incredibly real, that even though she knew the shark wasn't real she believed it was. I know exactly how she felt, because when I first experienced it alone the night before, I had been shouting at the people above on the boat to pull me up. My daughter and I laughed silently when watching my wife go through this, and when it was my daughter's turn to try, even though she knew what would happen (we'd watched it together on the tv screen, which showed everything my wife saw) when she tried it herself, she had all the very same reactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment