Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Virtual Reality is Real (part 2)


During the unboxing, I have to say that I was impressed with the packaging. I don't normally care about or notice such things, but this impacted me the same way that some Apple product packaging has: it was very stylish and almost classy. Just opening the box and removing the compartmentalized components made me feel like I'd bought something special. The instructions were very straight-forward and easy to follow, short and simple on each page. I had it all hooked up in minutes and was ready to go. The device fit easily onto my head and was surprisingly light and comfortable. The only thing I didn't like was that it has a cord and I had to figure out where to adjust that so it didn't interfere with my movements or break my suspension of disbelief. I decided to purchase VR Worlds, which has several short games. I first tried Ocean Descent, which is an entirely passive experience where you just observe. You start in a shark cage submerged in the ocean about 50 feet below the surface, and are then slowly lowered down. I'll discuss reactions more tomorrow, but I can tell you this--VR is not just another 3D-gimmick, it is incredibly immersive, and I truly believe it will completely change the future of gaming and entertainment!

No comments:

Post a Comment