Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Do You Like Rogue-Likes? (part 2)


On the surface, roguelikes do share many of the same characteristics as games in the larger RPG genre. However, one big difference is that, when your character dies in a roguelike, you usually lose all of your progress and have to start again at the beginning. While I've never experienced a roguelike in a table-top RPG setting (maybe some exist?) I've definitely played a few as video games. Initially, the concept of having to start all over from the beginning might remind some of you (from my generation) of the punishing difficulty of early video games in the 1980's, like “Ghosts 'n Goblins.” In that game, you had only 3 lives, and if you meant to solve the game, you had to go through the entire game using only those 3 lives. If you lost all 3 lives, that was it, GAME OVER, back to the very beginning for you! Imagine how frustrated I was to finally beat the end boss and learn that to win the game, I had to go through the entire game a SECOND time! And yes, I did, I solved that thing finally back when I was a kid. These days, I don't have that kind of insane patience anymore, nor the time! To enjoy a roguelike, do you need patience like that?...

No comments:

Post a Comment