Friday, August 30, 2019

Writing Strategies (part 5)


For the last year, I've been writing the script for a visual novel video game called The Star Legation. A method that has really helped me get some perspective is placing a section of my script in the game environment. When I read through the script with the art background, character sprites, message bar, and even the music activated, it gives me a better sense of flow, helps me to catch errors, and even reveals issues of nuance that I may have otherwise overlooked. Seeing the characters highlight when speaking their lines sometimes inspires ideas for their expressions, which can reflexively suggest modifications to the script that could further emphasize the moment. Hopefully, some of the ideas I've mentioned this week will be helpful in your quest as a writer, but above all, never stop working at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment