Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Plot Devices: Should we use them? (part 8)


As the writer and producer of the Star Legation visual novel, I began with the idea that I needed to keep the number of locations down a little. In a lot of visual novels, characters will visit a number of different locations, including different rooms in a home, school, other buildings, outdoor locations, transportation, etc. This can quickly become quite expensive, because artwork for each location is necessary in a visual novel to help create an immersive setting. The problem for me was that my story idea spanned a massive universe, including a number of different planets that the characters would be visiting. To give a clear idea of how much art I predicted I'd need, art was necessary for the 9 main characters, a number of side characters, art for different starships, art for the interior of their own starship, art for the planets in space, art for the planet surfaces, and art for the “throne rooms” of the alien leaders, not to mention the different anomalies they would see as they journeyed through space itself. How would a plot device help me manage the projected budget for this game, despite so many different locations to visit?

No comments:

Post a Comment