Wednesday, July 24, 2019

VR Report (part 3)


Batman: Arkham VR is another VR game I bought on sale for half price that was priced, in my opinion, too high when it was released when the PSVR hit the market. The game is short, but there are plenty of unlockable incentives if you'd like to keep playing, such as solving the Riddler's riddles and unlocking different character models you can look at in 3D. The part I liked most about the game, however, was the feeling that I was Batman. Looking at myself in a virtual mirror and seeing me, as Batman, moving exactly as I'm moving...that's an experience that really enhanced the immersion when I was flinging batarangs around at objects. I also really enjoyed using Batmans various gadgets, but the thrill of pretending to be someone else and seeing the represented in the game—that's something I really want to see more developers focusing on! I do wish the developers had done more with this, because there were a lot of missed opportunities like riding in the batmobile, gliding down from roofstops, or getting pulled rapidly upwards with a grapple-cable. I wanted to engage in a fist fight using Batman's martial arts moves, but at least I got to watch a recorded replay of Nightwing fighting a villain. I understand, though, that at the time of the game release, a lot of developers were being very careful with movement to avoid making a player sick and dizzy. These days, developers have found lots of alternatives and tricks for player comfort, and many of us have found our “VR legs,” so I hope to see another Batman game that further explores what being Batman is all about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment