Monday, July 15, 2019

The Cinematic Visual Novel (part 1)


Visual Novels are a unique blend of storytelling, art, and music. However, another aspect of this genre of video games involves cinematography, which is the use of movement through camerawork, framing size, and lighting. Although not all visual novels take advantage of these options, the experience of a visual novel can be significantly enhanced through cinematography, evoking a range of emotions to create feelings of happiness, despair, humor, or even fear. It so happens that I've had a year of training in film and video production, and have made a number of short films in my past. My background in film has inspired some of my ideas for the storytelling process. This week, I will explore some of the techniques I'll be using in The Star Legation visual novel to add another layer of depth to this visual novel experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment