Tuesday, July 23, 2019

VR Report (part 2)


Superhot is a VR game I bought recently when it was on sale for half price. The game released on PSVR only a few months after the PSVR itself hit the market, but I didn't want to support the bloated pricing strategies developers had initially for anything that had even a small VR moment included. Thankfully, prices for VR games have settled into reasonable and fair ranges in most cases these days. When I tried out Superhot for the first time, I was not thrilled with the low-detail graphics, but the graphics were not the point—the game was immediately immersive. In each scenario I found myself in, there were different objects I could grab and use against my enemies, who were often armed with firearms. I soon learned that their attacks and the bullets speeding towards me only moved if I did, at a rate mirroring my own rate of movement. If I moved slowly, so did the bullets, but if I fired a gun back, the bullets sped up. I felt like I was Neo in the Matrix, using a “bullet-time” slow-motion approach to dodge bullets, grab guns out of the hands of enemies, throw knives and bottles, and even block attacks with whatever I had on hand. This extremely innovative game made me feel like I had time-bending abilities, and I could affect the flow of time like a superhero, such as “The Flash,” moving around like I was in a slow martial arts ballet of death.


No comments:

Post a Comment