Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Working with an Artist (part 3)


An artist can really make or break a project, so it's very important to do your research and come to an agreement. I don't like asking anyone to sign contracts, but it's a necessary part of business and it's not just for me—it protects and insures the artist's rights, too, by stating payment details, giving a deadline for the project, clearly defining how the work will be delivered (and in what form), how the artist will be credited, clarifying rights, and by giving a clear understanding of the relationship between the two parties, among other details. My first experience with hiring an artist was unrelated to game design. Back in 1999, I was only a couple years out of college and was putting together a CD recording of me performing my own guitar compositions. I went with a recommendation for an artist through a friend. I really didn't know what I was doing and I had no clue about what reasonable pricing was for a project like that. In hindsight, the artist charged me far too much for a few photos and 1-page CD interior art, but that wasn't the worst of it: after doing all the work we'd verbally agreed to, only a few weeks before I was about to go on a short tour and sell my CD's the artist called me to say he'd been thinking. He said he felt that since his art was on each of my CD's, he wanted a royalty cut for each CD I sold. I told him absolutely not, and I'd drop and replace him in an instant if he didn't follow through with our original agreement. Thankfully, he backed off, delivered the art and I paid him his fee. I had no further dealings with him, but that taught me the importance of using contracts so everything is in writing, before the work even starts!

No comments:

Post a Comment