Thursday, August 23, 2018

Visual Novel Progress (part 4)


I've recently signed a contract with a new artist, and he will be designing some of the interior backgrounds. We've started with the inside of a human colony dwelling, and he has been doing some preliminary line art while we communicate the details. One thing I immediately realized as soon as I saw his sketch was that anything in the foreground was going to end up behind the character sprites that I have to place over the top of the background art. I do know of a way to avoid that for this background, but after realizing that, I asked him to make sure none of the other backgrounds have anything in the immediate foreground—that will save me a lot of time so I don't have to pull off my graphical programming trick to give the background some depth the character can move behind. We've planned a few minor adjustments to his line art, such as swapping the location of two areas, but other than that, his first shot was really close to being a great template for the final piece. I'll be honest, I love working with artists and seeing our ideas come to life and take on a unique look. Every time I see an email waiting from one of my artists, it's more exciting to me than getting a package from Amazon at my doorstep!

No comments:

Post a Comment