Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Working with an Artist (part 2)


Finding an artist was very difficult, but if you're ever in need of one, I'll mention how I went about it. If you're unfamiliar, there is a website for artists to display their work at www.deviantart.com, and I decided to look there first. I found my character artist, John Fell, through a friend at Johns Hopkins, but he also has an account on deviantart with his work displayed. When I started looking for a background artist, my first inclination was to just run searches for “scifi art,” but that opened up such a huge range of art to sort through that I narrowed my search to things like “scifi backgrounds,” “scifi starships,” and even “scifi anime,” since John Fell's art style felt a little bit like anime. I did find a few people this way, but quickly decided the best way to search was to let the artists come to me, so I placed an ad in the forums. One thing I mentioned in the ad was that I was only accepting artists from the United States. The reason for that is that legally, my contracts are invalid outside this country, and for payment, it can also complicate things. However, around half of the over 30 responses I received were from people outside the United States. It was hard turning down so many talented artists!

No comments:

Post a Comment