Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Visual Novel Progress (part 3)


This past week, Solar Echoes artist John Fell has started work on a few new characters that will be in the visual novel. One of them is a female human that you, the human male protagonist, will interact with throughout the game. I won't spoil much of her art, but I've included a screenshot with a hint of what she looks like. One decision I had to make (and am still toying with) concerns her hair color! Originally, she was blonde, but the color scheme of her uniform had enough yellow in it that I decided to change her hair color. I'm probably going to have her as either a brunette or a little bit of a red-head. What's your favorite? Another part of the process with John last week was going back and forth with ideas about her uniform and how it should look. I looked at a lot of photos of military uniforms for women, and designed a few ideas in Photoshop, which I sent to family and friends for feedback. Some of my friends didn't like the idea of a skirt—they felt women should wear pantsuits in the future, but I couldn't agree. Just because a lot of recent scifi like Mass Effect or Star Trek trends have featured pantsuits, I don't want to assume that today's trends will necessarily be popular in the future. So, John and I went with a skirt and leggings as part of her uniform: still feminine but showing a lot less skin. I sent John a number of different ideas I sketched and colored, and he was able to bring the best parts together with his own great ideas. We tweaked it a little more after that, and I'm now happy with the uniform we finally decided on.


No comments:

Post a Comment