Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Update on Solar Echoes Video Comic (part 3)


The background art has been one of the big challenges in putting together this video comic. The places I have imagined for the scenario don't exist exactly as I've envisioned them, and though I can make some exceptions, others are very specific. For instance, the scenario involves a warehouse with a garage door on the front, a security panel next to it, a side door on the building, and a ladder on that same side up to the roof. Drawing this freehand would be the easiest solution, but art takes time and is expensive—plus, artist John Fell is currently working on a few new characters that will be in the video comic. So, I needed to come up with a way to make the backgrounds that I need. I'm a decent artist, but my work is not going to measure up against someone like John, so I found a solution. I've been taking (and finding) photographs of different locations and then I've gone into Photoshop to alter them, adjusting them to fit the scenarios in the video comic. For instance, that warehouse I mentioned? I found a photo of a warehouse with the angle I needed, but the garage was on the wrong side, there was no ladder and no security panel, and it was in the daytime (the scene is at night.) After some work in Photoshop, I was finally able to create the scene I was envisioning.


No comments:

Post a Comment