Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Resistance to New Technology (part 2)


People are not willing to wear AR smartglasses everywhere they go. It wasn't long ago when Google Glass failed spectacularly with beta testers that were quickly labeled “Glass-holes” by those that had to deal with them. Technology can be intrusive, and there is often a fine line between acceptable and convenient technology vs. obnoxious and frustrating. Often, when a new technology emerges, it does so in a form that is rarely as streamlined as it could be. Take the VR headsets as an example: they are large, clunky, expensive, and most of them require cords. Sometimes it takes a clear vision for there to be enough adoption of technology still in its infancy. I was skeptical about VR at first—until I tried it. Then, I suddenly realized the immense potential of this technology, and bought a headset right away. VR's potential is still being unlocked and there are years of discovery yet to come, but many, like me, can see its potential clearly and want to be there every step of the way as it develops. I'm willing to deal with the irritating cord on my headset and the slight discomfort that comes with wearing it for several hours at a time. Regarding AR, perhaps it's not entirely the discomfort of wearing smartglasses; one factor in its dwindling adoption rate might simply be that the technology feels more like a gimmick than something visionary with vast potential. Why all this smartglasses stuff when I can do essentially the same things with my smartphone?

No comments:

Post a Comment