Thursday, February 8, 2018

Han Solo, Characters, and Space Opera (part 3)


I think the Solo movie has great potential simply because it is so obviously character driven. I've seen so many films with amazing plots that it's really hard to impress me anymore, but I never seem to tire of films that make interesting people the focus. To relate this to RPG's, there was a guy I met at a convention a few months ago who shared some details of his new game system with me and asked for feedback. I saw him making one of the same mistakes I did when I first released Solar Echoes in 2012—my focus was on the game system. I was very excited about the no-turn taking/no-initiative rules, among other aspects of the system, and I focused on that in my advertising. It wasn't long, though, before I realized that people wanted to know about the characters more than anything. As a result, I've put the different alien characters front and center on the www.SolarEchoes.com webpage, and I've tailored the game advertising around these characters. At conventions, most people are more interested in playing an amoebic blob or plant alien than in talking about the rules. After playing, they often compliment the game system itself, but their excitement still revolves around the characters. All of this is one of the big reasons I've been working on a Solar Echoes video comic: I can't wait for you all to meet the different personalities of the iconic Solar Echoes characters!

No comments:

Post a Comment