Friday, February 23, 2018

Resistance to New Technology (part 4)


In a science fiction novel I was writing 15 years ago, I described what is essentially AR and MR. The main character was able to see a digital overlay through his very eyes because of nanites (microscopic robots) that were attached to his optic nerve, relaying information directly to his brain. I never finished that novel, and I remember my wife's words at the time—I should finish the book before it becomes reality. But in reference to the concept, I was thinking this: why would we necessarily have to wear glasses when we could have contacts that contained microscopic bots, or even eyedrops that deposited them onto our eyes? If you saw the opening to the Olympics and watched the hundreds of tiny drones coordinating their movements collectively into different shapes, then it is not a stretch to imagine tiny nanites doing the same, aligning in front of your eye to display or project digital images into your vision, then moving back to the periphery of your cornea or contact lens. Some might say that people would never adopt this, but look back through recent history at how technology has been readily adopted despite the naysayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment