Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Does Entertainment Keep Us Healthy? (part 3)


Don't get me wrong—it's important to be somewhat aware of world events. We of course need to be compassionate and offer help when we can, pray for those that are suffering, and be aware of dangers so that we can prepare. I still remember my mother calling me when I was in college, asking me if I was ready for Floyd. I asked, “Who's Floyd?” I was so busy studying and was so stressed about school that I was out of touch with the rest of the world and didn't realize a deadly hurricane was headed my way. But on the flip side, I think we can also become far too consumed with the soap opera that is the world we live in. Some of us honestly don't want to know about the latest terrorist attack or disaster somewhere in the world because it depresses us and adds to our stress. We feel a great burden of guilt to have any happiness in life at all, because somewhere, someone is going through extreme suffering. Our stress and concerns are nothing compared to what those victims are going through, so we should deny our own problems and believe that we don't deserve to be happy about anything, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment