Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Analysis/Review of a new JPRG (part 3)


Another aspect of Tokyo Xanadu that I think makes it work is an element I wish I’d see in more RPG’s—a clear navigation system through the quests of the game. It seems simple, and some games do it, but with RPG’s, I think it is especially important that quest progress and objectives are clearly available to the player at all times. Some of the RPG’s I stopped playing had no quest guide, so when I’d pick them up to play again a few days or weeks later, I might have forgotten what I should be doing. I’d spend the next hour searching around, wasting time, trying to figure out where I was supposed to go and what I was supposed to do. If developers could track where people give up on their games (and this technology is now beginning to be used by some), they’d quickly see that the absence of a quest tracker/prompter is what loses a lot of players. 

As I’ve said before in past posts, the PS Vita is my gaming system of choice for RPG’s because I can suspend play by pushing the standby button at any time, and pick up right where I left off without having to worry about finding a save point. But that works only so well if the next time I power up to play, I can see what I was working on and where I need to go. Tokyo Xanadu keeps track of the main quest and the side quests, with prompts in your map showing you were the main quest will take you next and updates to all quests about your progress and what remains to be done. Even better, if you want to mess around in the open world some more, it will always give you the option to do so if you’re on a main story quest, saying, “Are you sure you want to continue with the main story right now? You won’t be able to return to this point after it advances.”



No comments:

Post a Comment