Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Japanese Anime and Solar Echoes (part 3)


Outlaw Star, in my opinion, wasn't as good as Cowboy Bebop, but I still enjoyed it and my imagination was captured by the buccaneer-like hero, Gene Starwind. He ends up finding himself the owner of a stolen, highly-advanced, prototype starship, which propels him toward many adventures in space. I wasn't a fan of the “grappling arms” aspect of the starships in this series (it reminded me a bit of the mecha style, where ships transformed into robots), but other than that, I enjoyed the situations they found themselves in and the types of characters they encountered, as well as the various locations they visited. One particular scenario stuck in my mind for years, and that was the starship race they participated in, where they had to face a number of opponents all trying to get ahead in the race, using whatever means possible. This inspired my idea for the Solar Echoes mission, “The Tarball Run,” where Union Guard agents (the players' characters) must capture a criminal participating in the race. It's an exciting mission, where players must do a fair amount of investigation before the race and then strategize during the race to overcome some of the toughest competitors, just to get close enough to stop the criminal—an expert pilot and a deadly foe.

No comments:

Post a Comment