Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Retitled: Making table-top RPG's appealing to a new generation (Part 2)


Simplification?
While in theory this may work, it's really difficult to say whether this is part of the solution or not. In my own experience, I felt certain editions of certain RPG's (without naming any names) were bogged down by excessive rules that resulted in gameplay that was often slowed to a crawl. Yet the “correction” to this problem that was offered in the very next edition of that game simplified the gameplay so much that it was compared to World of Warcraft or other video games—and the players hated that. What is needed is a good balance. One of my own litmus tests is if my pre-teen daughter can play it easily and stay engaged. While she could handle the aforementioned RPG, she often got bored when it came time to look up the rules and factor everything in. I remember times in my own game sessions with friends where, as a player, I found myself reading books while waiting on other players to figure out overly lengthy and complex rules. As a GM, I had to constantly scramble to reference all the rules, which often slowed the game and story. Though Solar Echoes may initially appear to be “crunchy” (rules heavy), we've really managed to streamline the rules and simplify the calculations necessary for determining the failure or success of an action. Ultimately, the goal is to keep the game moving, because the more interruptions the game suffers from rules hunting and lengthy calculations, the more challenging it is for a player to keep his “suspension of disbelief” engaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment