Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Notes from a Mission Controller (part 2)


When confronted with an experience in a game that seems almost impossible to surmount, I realize that for me, it really depends whether I'm going to enjoy the challenge or not. I'm not too into puzzle games, because I have very limited time to play games in the first place, so I need to feel like I'm making progress. Challenging puzzles sometimes require many long minutes or even a few hours to solve, and though some people feel incredible elation at finally solving a puzzle and consider their time well-spent, I become annoyed and irritated, feeling like I wasted my time. Most video games and table-top RPG's like Solar Echoes are designed to feed the player a continually developing experience—we players love to see our character's skills and appearance develop and feel the story progress. Yet sometimes, if we are met with a challenge that halts this momentum, it can potentially spoil the experience for us...

No comments:

Post a Comment